News

DSS to NLC: Shelve planned protest, some people planning violence

The Department of State Services (DSS) has urged the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) to shelve its planned nationwide protest over economic hardship in the country.

The NLC had declared that it would embark on a two-day nationwide protest from February 27 to February 28 over the hardship facing Nigerians.

However, the DSS, in a statement issued by its spokesperson, Peter Afunanya, on Wednesday, February 21, 2024, said some individuals have concluded plans to use the protest to “foment crisis and by extension, widespread violence”, noting that the development, “without doubt, will worsen the socio-economic situation across the country”.

The DSS spokesman enjoined the union to shelve the protest “in the interest of peace and public order”.

Afunanya, who said the DSS recognises a protest as the legitimate right of organised labour, called on the NLC to “pursue dialogue and negotiation rather than engaging in conducts that could heighten tensions”.

NLC declares 2-day nationwide protest over economic hardship, insecurity

He added: “It is common knowledge that all levels of government are striving to ameliorate the prevailing economic condition and as such, should be given a benefit of the doubt.

“So far, appropriate authorities are working assiduously with a spectrum of stakeholders to fashion out modalities to address the current difficulties. They should, therefore, be given the chance to handle the challenges at hand.

“In this vein, citizens are encouraged to recognise that what remains unsolved in peace time, would not be attained in war-time. The timeless piece of the esteemed Poet, JP Clark, ‘The Casualties’ is a resonating reminder to us on the possible dangers of escalated conflicts. In time of trouble, everyone will be a casualty.

“Also, ongoing wars in the global scene is a stark reminder of their catastrophic repercussions on the affected countries’ domestic environments thus, the critical need to protect and maintain our internal stability and unity. Those exploiting the fault lines in the country need to have a rethink as resort to negativities will endanger our peaceful coexistence with dire consequences.”

Afunanya further enjoined Nigerians to be “vigilant and not allow fifth columnists and hostile forces or agents to use them to destabilise the peace of the nation.”

“The DSS stands opposed to violence as a means of settling our present-day challenges, be they economic, political, or otherwise.

“Accordingly, the Service will work with sister security and law enforcement agencies to ensure that lasting peace is maintained in the country,” the DSS spokesperson added.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

Wike: I didn’t collapse, I’ll write condolence letters of those wishing me dead

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has debunked a rumour that…

4 hours ago

Minister: I wasn’t aware of Independence Bridge closure, controllers’ll be punished

The Minister of Works, David Umahi, has apologised to Lagos residents and President Bola Tinubu…

4 hours ago

‘They reflect needed national spread’: ACF lauds Tinubu over NNPC appointments

The Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF) has commended President Bola Tinubu for appointing Ahmad Musa Kida…

6 hours ago

FIFA rankings: Super Eagles move to 43rd position, 6th in Africa

The Super Eagles of Nigeria have moved one place up to 43rd position in the…

8 hours ago

Shettima departs Abuja for Senegal’s 65th independence anniversary

Vice President Kashim Shettima has departed Abuja for Dakar, the capital of Senegal, to represent…

9 hours ago

INEC: Why we rejected Natasha’s recall petition

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has explained why it rejected the petition seeking to…

9 hours ago