The management of Ekiti United Football Club has approved the downsizing of its players to ensure effectiveness.
This is contained in a statement issued by the Club Secretary, Mr. Ayodeji Olowolafe, on Wednesday.
According to Olowolafe, the downsizing had become necessary in order to ensure repositioning of the team and improvement of players’ welfare.
He added that the team had been reduced from 36 players to 30 players, while 10 players were dropped to encourage the outstanding ones from the feeder team to move up the ladder.
He said that some of the players from the feeder team had shown appreciable performances in various friendly matches, hence the opportunity given to them to cross to the main team.
Olowolafe gave the names of the retained players as Wale Makanjuola, Michael Tunde, Lucky Otis, Sikiru Adisa, George Promise, Seyì Akinyemi, Boluwaji Ariyo, Sikiru Hammed, Boluwaji Afolabi, Nurudeen Safiriyu, Chinonso Anike, Oluwasola Ajala, Richard Appor, Ben Iluyomade, and Michael Akinyemi.
READ ALSO: Ekiti govt secures N2.6bn FG fund to construct 550 housing units
Others are Odufu Onuah, Timothy Akinyemi, Toluwalase Amanda, Elisha Haruna, Hussain Sulaiman, Freeman Ogundeyi, Junior Solomon, Femi Ojo, Ebenezer Odeyemi, Fabian Fabian, Sunday Taiwo, Segun Ajengele, Ichugo Osinachi, George Adedara, and Mustapha Adeniyi.
The club secretary urged the players to justify the confidence reposed in them.
He said: “The new squad of Ekiti United FC must justify the confidence reposed them with good results, starting from their upcoming home match against Gateway Football Club.”
The match between Ekiti United FC and Gateway FC of Abeokuta comes up on April 16 at Oluyemi Kayode Stadium, Ado-Ekiti.
- NNPC announces new management team - April 4, 2025
- Ojulari takes over as NNPC boss, vows to consolidate on Kyari’s achievements - April 4, 2025
- Tinubu appoints Ayo Sotinrin as Bank of Agriculture MD - April 4, 2025