News

Governors: How we’ll end kidnapping in North

The Northern Governors’ Forum has agreed on new options at a meeting with service chiefs to address the recent spate of kidnappings in the North.

The chairman of the forum and governor of Gombe State, Inuwa Yahaya, disclosed this to journalists after the close-door meeting in Abuja on Thursday, March 14, 2024.

Yahaya said the meeting attended by the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, and service chiefs reviewed the security situation and agreed to adopt alternative options to tackle it.

The governor said the alternative options would be different from what they had been doing before.

He disclosed that the governors were disposed to supporting both kinetic and non-kinetic options to address insecurity in the North.

Again, terrorists kill one, kidnap 8 in Kaduna

Yahaya said: “Already the military and all other security agencies have been doing their best.

“What we need to do is to change style, especially adding the non-kinetic approach, so that at the end of it when we join the two, we’ll have a better security situation in the country,” he added.

The closed door meeting was in response to the recent resurgence of mass abductions of students and residents in the northern part of the country by terrorists.

The terrorists had, on March 7, abducted 286 primary and secondary school students in Kuriga, Kaduna State.

112 Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) were also abducted in Gamboru Ngala, Borno State, and 15 Quranic school students in Sokoto State.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

Police summon Sanusi to Abuja over Kano clash

The Nigeria Police Force (NPF) has summoned the Emir of Kano, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, to…

3 hours ago

Italy envoy: We’ll partner Kaduna govt to boost investments

The Ambassador of Italy to Nigeria, Lacopo Foti, has expressed his country’s readiness to support…

6 hours ago

Abimbola Owoade crowned Alaafin of Oyo

The ancient city of Oyo in Oyo State witnessed a historic moment on Saturday, April…

7 hours ago

Mueller to leave Bayern Munich after 25 years

Bayern Munich legend Thomas Mueller has confirmed that the club will not offer him a…

8 hours ago

7 dead, 4 injured in Lagos-Ibadan expressway accident

No fewer than seven persons have been confirmed dead in an accident at NIPCO filling…

8 hours ago

Russian missile strike kills 18 in Zelensky’s hometown

A Russian ballistic missile strike on Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky's home city of Kryvyi Rih…

11 hours ago

This website uses cookies.