News

‘I’m still alive’: Pope Francis jokes after leaving hospital

Pope Francis has joked that he is “still alive” as he left hospital in Rome, Italy after a three-day stay.

Pope was admitted to Gemelli Hospital mid-week with breathing difficulties and later diagnosed with bronchitis.

The Vatican had said he was responding to antibiotics and would be released on Saturday, depending on test results.

“I wasn’t frightened, I’m still alive,” the 86-year-old pontiff told reporters and tearful well-wishers outside the hospital before being driven away.

He was seen smiling and waving from the car, before getting out to speak to a crowd. He then headed for the Vatican.

READ ALSO: Pope Francis hospitalised for respiratory infection

The Pope’s admission to hospital came ahead of the busiest week in the Christian calendar to mark Easter.

Holy Week, as it is known, includes a busy schedule of events and services that can be physically demanding.

Vatican spokesman, Matteo Bruni, said on Friday that the Pope was excepted to take part in this weekend’s service for Palm Sunday.

The Argentine pontiff, who marked 10 years as head of the Catholic Church earlier this month, has suffered a number of health issues throughout his life, including having part of one of his lungs removed at age 21.

He has also used a wheelchair in recent months because of problems related to his knee.

But the Pope has remained active, visiting the Democratic Republic of Congo and South Sudan in February.

The previous month, he led the funeral of his predecessor Pope Benedict XVI.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

NNPC announces new management team

The Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) Limited has announced the appointment of a new 8-man…

5 hours ago

Ojulari takes over as NNPC boss, vows to consolidate on Kyari’s achievements

The new Group Chief Executive Officer of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) Limited, Bayo…

5 hours ago

Tinubu appoints Ayo Sotinrin as Bank of Agriculture MD

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Ayo Sotinrin as the new Managing Director of the Bank…

7 hours ago

Gunmen kidnap female govt official

Gunmen have abducted the Coordinator of Ngbo Central Development Centre in Ohaukwu Local Government Area…

10 hours ago

Court bars Natasha, Akpabio from media interviews on ongoing case

The Federal High Court sitting in Abuja on Friday, April 4, 2025, restrained the senator…

10 hours ago

Reclaiming NNPC: Rescuing Nigeria’s oil industry from systemic rot

By BALA MOHAMMED The recent overhaul of the NNPC Limited board and management by President…

11 hours ago

This website uses cookies.