Sports

Lewandowski ends sponsorship deal with Huawei over links to Russia

World Footballer of the Year, Robert Lewandowski, has ended a sponsorship deal with Huawei, the Chinese technological company confirmed on Tuesday.

Huawei, however, failed to disclose the reasons behind the end of the partnership with the Bayern Munich and Poland striker.

Huawei dismissed speculations the decision could have to do with the Chinese company allegedly helping Russia make its networks safe against hackers in the wake of its invasion of Ukraine.

It described a report to that effect as “untrue and based on inaccurate and false information” in a tweet on Monday.

That report is said to refer to a now-deleted Chinese report which said Huawei would train some 50,000 experts in Russia at its research centres.

Meanwhile, Lewandowski’s agent had earlier on Monday confirmed the development, noting that the Poland striker had terminated his contract with Huawei, which is said to be worth around £4 million per year.

Lewandowski’s agent, in a statement, said: “Today, we decided to end the marketing cooperation between Robert Lewandowski and the Huawei brand.

READ ALSO: Bundesliga players snub Messi, pick Lewandowski as best footballer

“Therefore, the implementation of all promotional services has been suspended on our part.”

The Poland striker has been critical of Russia’s invasion, wearing captain’s armbands in Ukraine’s colours in the last two Bundesliga games.

He also welcomed the decision of FIFA to suspend all Russian teams from international football.

Poland were originally to play a World Cup play-off match in Russia on March 24, 2022, but Lewandowski had stated that he would not play against Russia.

Lewandowski was named the Best FIFA Men’s Player of the Year 2020 and 2021.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

Tinubu appoints Ayo Sotinrin as Bank of Agriculture MD

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Ayo Sotinrin as the new Managing Director of the Bank…

11 minutes ago

Gunmen kidnap female govt official

Gunmen have abducted the Coordinator of Ngbo Central Development Centre in Ohaukwu Local Government Area…

3 hours ago

Court bars Natasha, Akpabio from media interviews on ongoing case

The Federal High Court sitting in Abuja on Friday, April 4, 2025, restrained the senator…

3 hours ago

Reclaiming NNPC: Rescuing Nigeria’s oil industry from systemic rot

By BALA MOHAMMED The recent overhaul of the NNPC Limited board and management by President…

4 hours ago

Kevin De Bruyne leaves Man City at end of season

Manchester City midfielder Kevin De Bruyne has announced he is leaving the Premier League club…

5 hours ago

Commissioner: How Uba Sani revamped Kaduna health sector

Kaduna State Governor Uba Sani has revamped the entire health sector in the state through…

6 hours ago