Crimes

Many trapped in Abuja building collapse

A four-storey building of a hotel under construction at Dape in Life Camp in Abuja collapsed on Monday, trapping an undisclosed number of labourers.

It was gathered that the building collapsed at about 4 p.m. on Monday.

Confirming the incident, a Superintendent of the Federal Fire Service, Emeribe David, who led the team of firemen to the site, said the fire service received a distress call at about 4.pm and reached the site about 15 minutes later.

David said his team joined other agencies in the operations to save the lives of the people trapped in the wreckage.

He identified some of the agencies as the FCT Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), and security agencies, among others.

READ ALSO: Flood: Abuja agency to demolish police station, others on waterways

He added that rescue operations at the site of the collapsed building will resume at 8.a.m. on Tuesday.

He said: “Immediately the Fire Service received the call, we were deployed to the scene with a fire truck and ambulance crew to see what we can salvage.

“We do not know the number of people that were trapped, but we will figure that out when we continue the operations in the morning.”

Also speaking, the Director-General of FEMA, Dr Abass Idris, told journalists that nine persons have so far been rescued as of 7:44 p.m.

The agencies involved in the operation closed the site at about 10 p.m., while security officials were drafted to the area.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

FIFA rankings: Super Eagles move to 43rd position, 6th in Africa

The Super Eagles of Nigeria have moved one place up to 43rd position in the…

2 hours ago

Shettima departs Abuja for Senegal’s 65th independence anniversary

Vice President Kashim Shettima has departed Abuja for Dakar, the capital of Senegal, to represent…

2 hours ago

INEC: Why we rejected Natasha’s recall petition

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has explained why it rejected the petition seeking to…

2 hours ago

INEC: Natasha’s recall petition failed to meet constitutional requirement

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) says the petition seeking to recall the senator representing…

4 hours ago

Sanwo-Olu to Lagosians: Work remotely, Independence Bridge’ll be closed for weeks

Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu says the Independence Bridge on Victoria Island will be closed…

4 hours ago

2025 UTME: JAMB orders candidates to print slip for mock exam

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has directed candidates sitting for the 2025 optional…

5 hours ago