Just Politics

Nancy Pelosi: I’m heartbroken, traumatised

The Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, Nancy Pelosi, says she and her family were “heartbroken and traumatised” by the violent attack on her husband, Paul, at their home in California.

An intruder had broken into the couple’s house in San Francisco on Friday morning and attacked the Speaker’s husband with a hammer, fracturing his skull.

Speaking via a letter posted on her Twitter account on Saturday evening, Pelosi said: “Our children, our grandchildren, and I are heartbroken and traumatised by the life-threatening attack on our Pop.

“We are grateful for the quick response of law enforcement and emergency services, and for the life-saving medical care he is receiving.”

Paul Pelosi, aged 82, who underwent surgery and is recovering in hospital, was at home alone, as his wife was working in Washington.

“His condition continues to improve,” Nancy Pelosi, who is second in line to the U.S. Presidency, added in the letter.

READ ALSO: Police officer, 7 others die in Congo concert stampede

She further stated that the suspect “demanded to confront me and brutally attacked my husband Paul”.

San Francisco police said officers found the assailant at the couple’s home just before 2:30 am, where he and Paul Pelosi were scuffling over a hammer.

“The suspect pulled the hammer away from Mr. Pelosi and violently assaulted him with it,” San Francisco police chief, Bill Scott, told reporters, saying Paul Pelosi was later hit at least once.

Police identified the assailant as 42-year-old David Depape, with Scott saying Depape would be charged with attempted homicide, assault with a deadly weapon, burglary, and other felonies.

“This was not a random act. This was intentional, and it is wrong,” Scott added.

US media, citing family sources, said the intruder told Paul Pelosi he was going to tie him up and wait for the speaker to get home.

Local media had earlier reported that the intruder shouted “Where’s Nancy?” during the assault, which came less than two weeks ahead of the midterm elections.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

Diri: My government not against rallies in Bayelsa

Bayelsa State Governor Douye Diri says his administration is not against rallies in the state.…

9 hours ago

Tribunal affirms Okpebholo as Edo governor

The Edo State Governorship Election Petitions Tribunal sitting in Abuja has affirmed Monday Okpebholo as…

10 hours ago

King who died inside the honey pot, by FUNKE EGBEMODE

By FUNKE EGBEMODE (egbemode3@gmail.com) When Prince Amuniwaiye ascended the throne of his fathers, it looked…

11 hours ago

Wike approves employment of 34 resident doctors for 7-year training

The Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has approved the employment of 34 resident…

12 hours ago

Sterling Bank removes transfer fees on online transactions

Sterling Bank has removed transfer fees on all local online transactions, becoming the first major…

12 hours ago

Ex-policeman kills 2 family members, one other over land dispute

The Yovoyan community in the Badagry area of Lagos State was thrown into mourning on…

15 hours ago