News

NCDC reports 21 Monkeypox cases, one death

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), in its latest report on Monkeypox, said the country has recorded 21 cases in 2022.

The NCDC said the country recorded six cases of Monkeypox and one death in May.

The agency noted that Nigeria’s risk of exposure to the Monkeypox virus was high based on the recent risk assessment it conducted.

The NCDC in its latest epidemiological summary on Monkeypox which was published on Sunday evening noted that since January 2022, Nigeria had continued to report sporadic cases of the disease.

Monkeypox is an uncommon disease caused by infection with the Monkeypox virus, which belongs to the Orthopoxvirus genus in the Poxviridae family.

According to the World Health Organization (WHO), the disease is only seen in West and Central African countries.

It has, however, been reported in other countries of the world, including the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, and Italy.

According to NCDC, this year, as of 29th May 2022, a total of 21 confirmed cases with one death have been reported from 9 states and the FCT – Adamawa (5), Lagos (4), Bayelsa (2), Delta (2), Cross River (2), FCT (2), Kano (2), Imo (1), and Rivers (1).

It stated that one death was reported in a 40-year-old patient who had underlying co-morbidity and was on immunosuppressive medications.

READ ALSO: Monkeypox spreads as France, Germany, Belgium report first cases

It noted that there had been no evidence of any new or unusual transmission of the virus, nor changes in its clinical manifestation documented (including symptoms, profile and virulence).

The NCDC added that a National Technical Working Group (TWG) was set up and saddled with the task of monitoring infections and strengthening preparedness and response capacity.

The Disease Agency said that Genomic surveillance was ongoing at NCDC’s National Reference Laboratory in Abuja and so far all of the cases have been confirmed to be caused by the West African clade Monkeypox virus.

The agency said that the Emergency Operations Centre for Monkeypox would continue to monitor the evolving situation to inform public health action accordingly.

The NCDC enjoined Nigerians to remain aware of the risk of Monkeypox and adhere to public health safety measures.

It also urged the public to report to the nearest health facility if they noticed the known signs and symptoms of the disease.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

Russian missile strike kills 18 in Zelensky’s hometown

A Russian ballistic missile strike on Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky's home city of Kryvyi Rih…

58 minutes ago

‘It doesn’t make sense’: Wike condemns land grabbing, undeveloped lands in Abuja

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has frowned at land grabbing…

1 hour ago

Trump gives TikTok 75 days to find non-Chinese buyer

United States President Donald Trump has extended the deadline for TikTok to find a non-Chinese…

4 hours ago

Investors lose N8bn at stock market

The Nigerian stock market, on Friday, April 4, 2025, recorded a downturn as performance indices…

4 hours ago

Ogun APC spokesman, Tunde Oladunjoye, is dead

The spokesman for the Ogun State chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Tunde Oladunjoye,…

5 hours ago

Tinubu, Otuaro and sustenance of Niger Delta’s peace, security

By FIDELIS SORIWEI At the twilight of the Buhari Administration, the Niger Delta was grappling…

5 hours ago

This website uses cookies.