Protesters, on Thursday, fought with police, torched vehicles, and looted shops in Dublin, the capital of the Republic of Ireland, after three children were stabbed outside a school.
Police in riot gear stood guard on the streets in Dublin as crowds taunted them with chants and set off fireworks.
Near O’Connell Bridge, over the River Liffey, flames rose from a torched car and bus, while crowds broke into stores and looted goods on one of the city’s main shopping streets.
The unrest – the worst in Dublin in years – came after a five-year-old girl sustained serious injuries in a suspected stabbing in Parnell Square East, north central Dublin.
Two other children and two adults – a woman and the suspected perpetrator of the attack – were taken to hospital after the incident shortly after 1:30 p.m. (1330 GMT) on Thursday.
Thursday’s incident, which police said was not thought to be terror-related, involved a man armed with a knife stabbing victims outside the school, according to media and eyewitnesses.
READ ALSO: Petrol station explosion kills 10 in Ireland
Witnesses disclosed how a man had been disarmed and Prime Minister, Leo Varadkar, said a suspect had been arrested.
Superintendent Liam Geraghty later told media that “a young girl aged five years has sustained serious injuries” and was receiving emergency medical treatment.
He added that a five-year-old boy and a six-year-old girl sustained less serious wounds, saying the boy has since been discharged.
The woman was being treated for serious injuries in hospital, while the man, said to be aged in his 50s, was a “person of interest” for police, Geraghty said.
Police chief, Drew Harris, blamed the unrest on a “complete lunatic faction driven by far-right ideology”.
He warned against “misinformation” as rumours spread on social media about the suspected attacker’s nationality.
One protester told AFP that “Irish people are being attacked by these scum”.
Ireland has been facing a chronic housing crisis, with the government estimating that there is a deficit of hundreds of thousands of homes for the general population.
But widespread dissatisfaction has fed into a backlash against asylum seekers and refugees, and far-right figures have promoted anti-immigration sentiment at rallies and on social media with claims that “Ireland is full”.
Justice Minister, Helen McEntee, said the scenes in the city centre, including attacks on police, “cannot and will not be tolerated” and promised to take action.
“A thuggish and manipulative element must not be allowed to use an appalling tragedy to wreak havoc,” she said, calling for calm.
Stock markets and the dollar tumbled on Thursday, April 3, 2025, after United States President…
Israeli airstrikes killed at least 100 Palestinians across the Gaza Strip on Thursday, April 3,…
Liverpool can move closer to the Premier League title when the leaders face Fulham on…
South Korea's Constitutional Court, on Friday, April 4, 2025, upheld President Yoon Suk Yeol's impeachment…
Some constituents of Kogi Central Senatorial District have vowed never to back down on the…
Premier League club Arsenal have suffered a major setback ahead of their Champions League clash…
This website uses cookies.