Breaking News

Supreme Court: Nnamdi Kanu’ll face trial for terrorism

The Supreme Court has upheld the trial of the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, for terrorism charges filed against him.

The Supreme Court, on Friday, December 15, 2023, set aside a judgement by the Court of Appeal which dismissed the terrorism charges against Kanu.

The federal government had prayed the court to set aside an earlier judgement by the Court of Appeal, which quashed the treasonable felony charge against Kanu and ordered his release on the grounds that he was unlawfully brought back to the country after he jumped bail.
Kanu wanted the Supreme Court to allow the judgement of the Court of Appeal and uphold his discharge and acquittal.

The counsel for the federal government, Tijani Gazali (SAN), urged the apex court “to allow the appeal, set aside the judgement of the court below, and affirm the judgement of the trial court (Federal High Court), to the effect that the respondent should stand trial in respect of the charge, which the court below quashed.”

Gazali further urged the court to dismiss the cross-appeal filed by Kanu.

In his submission, Kani’s counsel, Mike Ozekhome, urged the court to dismiss the appeal filed by the federal government with punitive costs and uphold the cross-appeal in order to do substantial justice to the matter.

READ ALSO: Kanu to FG: I won’t beg for my release

He urged the court to allow the cross-appeal filed by his client.

Ozekhome told the court that his client has been in custody since June 29, 2021.

The Supreme Court, however, declined the appeal for the release of Kanu from detention.

The judgement written by Justice Garba Lawal voided and set aside the judgement of the Court of Appeal which in October last year ordered the release of Kanu and also quashed the terrorism charges against him.

Justice Lawal said although the Nigerian government was reckless and unlawfully rendered Kanu from Kenya, such unlawful act has not divested any court from proceeding with trial.

He added that no Nigerian law was cited in the suit seeking Kanu’s release on mere unlawful abduction from Kenya adding that at moment, the remedy for such action is for Kanu to file a civil matter against such act instead of removing the powers of courts to continue with his trial for alleged criminal charges.

The judge subsequently ordered that Nnamdi Kanu should go and defend himself in the remaining seven count terrorism charges against him.

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

NNPC announces new management team

The Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) Limited has announced the appointment of a new 8-man…

5 hours ago

Ojulari takes over as NNPC boss, vows to consolidate on Kyari’s achievements

The new Group Chief Executive Officer of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) Limited, Bayo…

5 hours ago

Tinubu appoints Ayo Sotinrin as Bank of Agriculture MD

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Ayo Sotinrin as the new Managing Director of the Bank…

7 hours ago

Gunmen kidnap female govt official

Gunmen have abducted the Coordinator of Ngbo Central Development Centre in Ohaukwu Local Government Area…

10 hours ago

Court bars Natasha, Akpabio from media interviews on ongoing case

The Federal High Court sitting in Abuja on Friday, April 4, 2025, restrained the senator…

11 hours ago

Reclaiming NNPC: Rescuing Nigeria’s oil industry from systemic rot

By BALA MOHAMMED The recent overhaul of the NNPC Limited board and management by President…

11 hours ago

This website uses cookies.