Education

Zamfara governor declares state of emergency on education

Zamfara State Governor, Dauda Lawal, has declared a state of emergency on education in the state.

Lawal, in a state broadcast on Tuesday, said the neglected education system in Zamfara State has affected all levels, from primary to tertiary institutions, with poor learning environments and personnel.

The governor, according to a statement issued on Wednesday by his spokesperson, Sulaiman Idris, noted that the declaration of a state of emergency on education was in line with his campaign promises.

He added that the Zamfara State Government is fulfilling a pledge to overhaul the education sector, which he said has virtually collapsed.

Idris stated: “the Dauda Lawal administration has commenced the following emergency response: construction and renovation of 245 schools across the 14 local government areas of the State; provision of two-seater desks for pupils and students, totalling 9,542 across schools in the 14 local government areas; equipping the constructed and renovated 245 schools with 619 tables and 926 chairs for teachers across the 14 local government areas.

“All teachers and education managers will receive subject-specific training and retraining.

READ ALSO: Gov Lawal swears-in 14 Zamfara LG Sole Administrators

“To maintain a minimum level of quality in education delivery, the government has suspended the licenses of private education providers in the state. This ensures that private schools meet the required standards for providing quality education.

“Furthermore, in pursuit of quality education, my government has approved sponsoring 50 per cent of Zamfara indigenes admitted into Federal Government Girls College Gusau for the 2023-2024 academic sessions.

“The State Government has paid the National Examination Council (NECO) fees for all Zamfara public school candidates who sat for the 2023 exams. Similarly, certificates for the candidates who sat for the 2019 NECO examinations have been collected and distributed to the students.

“The results of the NECO exams taken in 2020, 2021, and 2022 will be released to students before the end of this month. The results were previously withheld by the NECO due to non-payment by the previous administration.

“However, with our intervention, students who graduated during those years can now access their results and apply to different tertiary institutions for admission.

“Governor Lawal has paid the tuition fees and allowances of students on scholarship in various countries, including Sudan, Cyprus, and India. This ensures they can continue their studies without interruption due to debts incurred by the previous government.

“The government is committed to changing the narrative of constant underperformance. Zamfara will thrive across all sectors. This is just the beginning of our rescue mission.”

Idris Salisu

The Star

Segun Ojo

Recent Posts

Wike: I didn’t collapse, I’ll write condolence letters of those wishing me dead

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has debunked a rumour that…

6 hours ago

Minister: I wasn’t aware of Independence Bridge closure, controllers’ll be punished

The Minister of Works, David Umahi, has apologised to Lagos residents and President Bola Tinubu…

7 hours ago

‘They reflect needed national spread’: ACF lauds Tinubu over NNPC appointments

The Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF) has commended President Bola Tinubu for appointing Ahmad Musa Kida…

9 hours ago

FIFA rankings: Super Eagles move to 43rd position, 6th in Africa

The Super Eagles of Nigeria have moved one place up to 43rd position in the…

11 hours ago

Shettima departs Abuja for Senegal’s 65th independence anniversary

Vice President Kashim Shettima has departed Abuja for Dakar, the capital of Senegal, to represent…

12 hours ago

INEC: Why we rejected Natasha’s recall petition

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has explained why it rejected the petition seeking to…

12 hours ago